Pompton Lakes Public Library
Library Open House
September 27, 1997
The Emanuel Einstein Memorial building was constructed by Mrs. Fannie Einstein in memory of her husband who died in 1909.
The land, building, equipment, and books were dedicated in 1912, for the use of the residents of Pompton Lakes.
Following the death of her mother, Mrs. Alice E. Van Orden operated and supported the library at her own expense until 1953, when she generously gave the building and grounds to the Borough of Pompton Lakes.
The Free Public Library of the Borough of Pompton Lakes was incorporated in 1953, with the borough assuming the responsibility for the support of the library. At the time the first Library Board of Trustees was appointed by the Mayor and Council.
Mrs. Van Orden served on the Library Board of Trustees and upon retirement was elected an “Honorary Life Member”
- 1954 – Part of the second floor of the facility was converted to a Children’s Room.
- 1950’s – Library introduces its first copy machine.*
- 1970 – A central air conditioning system was installed
- 1976 – Renovation and redecoration of the interior was completed. The number of parking spaces doubled. A ramp was built to accommodate the handicapped.
- 1990 – Preliminary stage of library automation.
- 1992 – Dedication of the Alice E. Van Orden Reading Garden.
- 1994 – On October 31st the Pompton Lakes Library began circulating materials via computer.
- 1995 – First public access terminals introduced. *
Automation has made it possible for the library to participate in resource sharing with other libraries. The resources now available to residents are unlimited.
With our heartfelt thanks…
The Pompton Lakes Woman’s Club has been very supportive over the years. See * items in centerfold.
The Woman’s Club “Annual Tag Day”, sponsorship of the Library’s Book Sales, and the planting of the bulbs and flowers on the library grounds all help the library.
The Lion’s Club has donated funds to add new titles to the Large Print Collection.
The Rotary Club was responsible for providing the first Computer Workstation for use by our residents.
Many other gifts, too numerous to list, have been received over the years from local businesses, organizations, and residents.
BOARD OF LIBRARY TRUSTEES – 1997
- Margaret DeMaio, Pres.
- Anita Reilly, Sect’y
- David Withington
- Grace Profeta, Mayor’s Alt.
- Lorna Carroll, V.P.
- Walter Hershey, Tres.
- John Murrin, Mayor
- Frank Santora, Supt. Alt.
Dr. Margaret M. Freathy, Director